Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Drab 2 Fab: My Sister's Room Transformation

Let me just start by saying that my sister, Melanie Brooke aka Tooty, is one of my favorite people in this whole world. My sister is absolutely gorgeous. A few words to describe her: loyal, trusting, fashionable, giving, and tender. I love my sister. But, my sister is NOT organized. I am featuring her room in today's blog. Normally, I like to post "before" and "after" pictures. Today we will only have "after" pictures because I honestly just feel "before" pictures would damage any possibility of Tooty one day being accepting into college and even getting a good job 5 years from now. It was THAT bad. Have no fear; Heather came to the rescue and took control of this out-of-control situation.

It all began with Tooty sitting on her bed talking to me. I couldn't hear anything she was saying because I was all too focused on her chaotic and disastrous bedroom. She has had a girly pink, black & white, zebra themed bedroom for a few years now. Her walls were gray- which was the color I painted it when I lived in her room, ummm... many years ago. It was time for a change. Time to FAB her up! I stopped her mid-conversation and said "Tooty, we really need to re-do your room... Here's what I'm thinking..." 

Phase 1: The Headboard
This was a project I've been wanting to do for quite some time. We ran over to my Grandma's and started going through Poppa's storage shed looking for materials. Tooty found two long pieces of boards and we I got right to work!

To hold the two pieces together, we used heavy duty duct tape.


Next up, we needed some padding between the fabric and the boards. Grandma found an old egg crate. Perfecto! I trimmed it down to fit the boards.



The egg crate didn't provide enough stuffing, we found a bag of "Buffalo Snow" leftover from Christmas out in Grandma's storage shed. Same thing as poly-fil when it comes to this project.


Next up, we used the stapler to pull the fabric around the boards. Our plan was to get a printed fabric at Hancocks for abotu $20 bucks. Before we went, we stopped by Dirt Cheap to pick up a few decorative items. I happened to pick up a piece of brown fabric and wondered how much it was. Tooty and I couldn't figure out what it exactly was, but we knew it would be cheap and perfect. Turns out, it was a TABLE cloth, and $4.00. Oh yeah!


AFTER
Phase 2: The Dresser
Everybody has an old dresser somewhere in their house. Tooty has always hated this dresser. When I suggested painting it, she was immediately on board. She said she didn't care what we did but the CLOWN drawer pulls were coming off and she didn't care what she had to spend to replace them. She is so funny!

BEFORE:

Crackle Medium Paint: Sherwin Williams $21.00
Brown Base Paint: $3.88 Walmart Clearance Aisle
Creamy Top Coat Paint: $4.45 Walmart Clearance Aisle
Bedroom Wall Paint: $3.88 Walmart Clearance Aisle


AFTER:


Blue Curtain Panels: $4.00 each at Dirt Cheap.




Gorgeous Vintage Chair Tooty found at Goodwill for $20, I think. I tried everything I could to bribe her into giving me this and the lamp on her dresser, which she also found at Goodwill. She wouldn't cave.


We didn't have time to get a nice curtain rod, night stand, and shade for the night stand lamp. So, these aren't FINAL pictures, but it gives you a really good idea of what it will look like.



For about $50 we totally re-vamped this gorgeous room! New headboard, curtains, dresser, mirror and wall paint.

HOW FAB is that?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment