Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Drab 2 Fab: Dresser / TV stand

I've been looking for a dresser for the TV in our bedroom to sit on. I came across this beauty at goodwill about a month ago for $10.



Instead of staining it the same color as our bedroom furniture, I decided to make it an accent piece. Here's what I used for this project:



 I painted the base color dark brown.


Next, I used my new found love that I introduced you guys to in my last Drab 2 Fab post: Sherwin Williams Faux Finish Crackle glaze.



Here's where things got interesting.  I wanted the top coat to be an antique white. After rummaging through my storage shed I was very disappointed to realize I didn't have an antique white. The closest thing I had was high gloss white. I was determined not to spend more than $10 on this dresser and just use what I had, so, that's when my "crafty/creative" side of me kicked into high gear.
 
I brought the white paint in, poured it into my hand held paint bucket (my third favorite tool). Then, I took my dark brown paint and poured a very small amount into the WHITE paint. *when you don't have a paint mixer... improvise*


The paint turned pink. I knew I needed to keep adding white to get the color combination I was looking for, BUT the paint bucket was full. Any other day I would have been able to find five big empty buckets in one of our two storage sheds, but of course, not today. Now what?

When I walked back into the house I noticed my empty Gain laundry detergent container sitting by the door waiting to go to the recycle bin. "Hmmmmmm..." 


Favorite tool number 4: Razor Blade.



It's all about using what you already have, guys! I continued to add white paint until I had the perfect creamy antique white. (I must admit, I was VERY impressed with myself when the color turned out so perfectly).


Khloe was with me every step of the way on this project. : )


Time to paint my personal custom color for the top coat.





Total Cost: $10.00

No comments:

Post a Comment