Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crafty Christmas

If you follow my facebook, you already know that this was a CRAFTY Christmas. Just about everyone in the family received some type of handmade happy. I had so much fun creating and personalizing gifts. I do LOVE receiving a gift, but I have always loved giving more! Here's a roundup of some of the Christmas gifts I came up with. 


Christmas Dresses
Being the first time I ever made an actual outfit, I was quite impressed with the two ruffled dresses and pants I made from scratch (with no pattern) My little model wore these on Christmas and Christmas Eve! :)
  She was really hyper from opening gifts (and the Grandparents spoiling) so I didn't get a great picture.

Ruffled Tree Skirt
After putting my tree together, I decided it had been way too many years without a skirt and naturally the ones that I loved at Hobby Lobby were $79.99, so I decided to make one. I've had a huge roll of cream fabric that was given to me from my Grandma for probably six months now. Since I'm planning on buying a new tree and decor next year, the neutral color was perfect and would match just about any color tree!


Without using any type of pattern, I cut a huge circle and got started. Instead of sewing, I used hot glue to ruffle the remaining fabric strips around the skirt. (If you don't know already, sewing in a circle is not an easy task!) Just to be clear, this is NOT the type of craft you are going to finish in an hour. It literally took me FIVE hours to make this beauty. In the end, it was TOTALLY worth the hard work and extreme back pain from bending to glue. Total cost: FREE and you just can't beat that! :)

 
Therapy Sacks


Using leftover fabrics from previous projects, I made nine of these rice filled heating/ice packs.  My super sweet friend, Jessica Bellinger, had a huge supply of brown rice built up in her freezer and happily gave it away when I told her about the project. Attached to each pack was a really cute poem:

This little pillow filled with rice,
Is such a comfort that's oh so nice.
Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on HIGH
and kiss those aches and pains goodbye.
Apply it to the troubled spot,
The heat will ease the pain a lot.
Or warm those little toes, so cold.
You'll find this nice to have and to hold.
Or freeze it for a little while,
And fix that boo boo up in style.
Instead of a compress made of ice,
Use this pillow of rice that feels so nice
ENJOY!!  *Love, Heather*

Personalized Gag Gift
My sisters and I LOVE gag gifts! We have an "inside joke" for Sun In hair lightener. Instead of sticking it in a boring little gift bag, I thought it would be fun to brighten it up. This method could be used on all kind of gifts to make it a little more personalized!


Personalized Wedding Ornament
Using strips of Tooy and Dustin's wedding invitation, I created a personalized ornament for their very first Christmas Tree. The theme of their wedding was peacock feathers and bling-bling, so this is what I came up with:

Adorable, right?!


Family Pictures
A few months ago, I swooned over this gold frame in my Grandma's storage shed. After some persuasion she finally gave in and said I could have it. She had no idea she would be getting it back, with an old picture I stole from her photo album.


Using the 4x6 original picture, my scanner, and color correction, I had Sam's Club enlarge this picture to a 16x20. My grandparents do not have any enlarged family pictures that include my uncle, Bubby, who passed away when he was 12 years old. Grandma hung the picture the first chance she got! :) <3


Ruffled Camera Strap Slipcover 

 For the two photographers in my life: Rebecca & Kelli :)

 

Fleece Tied Blanket
For my nephew's soon to be "All things that move" Big Boy Room.

(Check out sleeping Pappaw in the background. No surprise to all
of us family members!! And now you all know where Jd gets it from!) HA

Fleece Scarves
For my fashion-ista nieces.

Presenting America's Next Top Model: Elisabeth Tarpley :)

Bed skirt turned Apron


I bought this multicolored bed skirt at Goodwill in February 2010. I didn't know what I would do with it, but the material was so cute and for $.99 I had to have it. Around the Christmas season I pulled it out and instantly realized what I needed to convert it to: APRONS! Kelli & Tooty LOVED them!

The handmade tag was a quote from Julia Child AND Miss Piggy: "Learn how to cook. Try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all, have fun! -JC / Word to the Wise: "Never eat more than you can lift." MP   PERFECT!

Handprint Apron


Teresa always says she's having a "GRAND" time when she hangs out with her grandbabies. I took that inspiration and created a GRAND apron. Handprints from all the kiddos and ruffles on the bottom. Could it be any cuter? I think not!

Handprint Pillow 


Letter to Nana from Khloe: "I know you wipe some away, but this handprint was made to stay. So keep it forever, a treasure it will be. This is the hand you once held when I was only 1 year old. Love Khloe Brooke 12/25/10.  Mom, of course, made the whole family cry when SHE opened it and began crying! ;)   

Homemade Salsa
I didn't save hundreds of mason jars for no reason! All the guys of the family received large homemade salsa jars! How perfect?! Cheap and homemade. Perfecto! Want my recipe? Click here. 


Oreo Truffles
Last, but certainly not least, the desert our family ALWAYS requests I bring to Christmas dinner.

There were more gifts I wanted to share, but sadly, half of my Christmas picture folder was somehow deleted. :( Thanks for reading, and I hope I inspired you to create a few crafty gifts too! Make someone's day and do something special for them. You will most likely find that it makes you happier to give than to receive! :) 


6 comments:

  1. Heather, you're so talented. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved my camera strap! Loved all the craftiness! Definitely love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) So glad you liked it!!! Now, I just need to make one for ME!! :)

      Delete
  3. so creative and talented.... you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! I really have to learn how to sew effectively. So I can try out some of these things!!

    ReplyDelete