Wednesday, July 13, 2011

TUTUtorial

Chances are if you're a {tight budget} mom and you have little girls, you've already made your little princess a tutu. If not, today is your day! This is the easiest, no sew, absolutely adorable creation! 


What you will need: Tulle, Scissors, and a long piece of ribbon. Three things! Seriously, it's that easy! 

Let's get started: Fold your tulle in half and measure (or eye it like I did) and begin cutting 1 inch strips.



Cut through the middle fold to make two strips.


Do this over and over again. I used three colors (one yard each): turquoise and two shades of green.


Stack them in somewhat of an order, but it doesn't have to be perfect.


I used a long piece of ribbon for the waist. You could use velcro but I think the ribbon is easier, plus you can always add to it as she grows. Tie a knot at the end of your ribbon to keep your tulle from falling off as you're working.


Gather your strips in tulle and fold in half. I used three green for the middle and one turquoise on the top and one on the bottom. I wanted it to be symmetrical so I stuck to the same pattern, you could mix it up as much as you want. 


Tie a knot through the ribbon where you have the strips folded. Try to point the not downward to make it lay better.


Turn on a good Lifetime movie and keep on tying.


Hold it up to your princess to measure as you are going. I knew Khloe would be wearing hers for an upcoming photo shoot so I wanted it to be super full and fluffy.


And there you have it! From beginning to end it took me about 30 minutes to complete.


I got the tulle on sale at hobby lobby for less than a $1.50 per yard, plus I already had the ribbon. Total cost was less than $6.00. Now, go. Go buy that tulle and see just how easy it is to make!! :)

Here's the pic of Khloe wearing it during her photo shoot with Kayce Stork Photography. We LOVED how it turned out.



2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen anyone suggest tying multiple pieces at once... much better than each one individually!!

    ReplyDelete