Monday, March 7, 2011

Adirondack Chairs

I am getting SO excited for summer. I was born in August. I am a summer baby! For the first time in my life, I spent MAYBE a handful of days outside last summer. I was preggo and super sicko. My beautiful in-ground pool just sat there collecting leaves as I layed on the couch day after day. This year is going to be a TOTALLY different story!

Of course, you know, I don't have a lot of money, but I am hoping to dress up the back yard on a small budget. Here's what I'm thinking:
  • A couple of large flowering pots to put on either side of the diving board
  • Patio table with a big umbrella
  • A few nice chairs to layout on
  • Flower beds to run along the sides of the pool
  • I'm HOPING I can grow some sunflowers along the back of my fence. (I have not been known to have a good green thumb, but I am hoping to change that THIS year!)
  • Fire pit
I have been checking goodwills for all the above. So far, I have a patio table and umbrella (thanks Susan!). If you have any of the other that you are not using, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands. Ha!

So, I have been eying these "Adirondack Chairs" for quite some time now. The cheap plastic kind are around $20.00 a piece. I knew that wasn't going to happen. So I decided that they couldn't be THAT hard to build. I found some directions online, and enlisted my hubby's help.


Have I mentioned how much I adore my husband for helping me?

 My first attempt at using the skill saw.


And it was a pretty straight cut. Yay me.



 

Presenting our homemade Adirondack Chairs:


We couldn't just stop at ONE. We had to have the pair!

I am going to make a cushion. I'm just waiting on the outdoor fabric to go on sale.

I already had the turquoise paint AND the all the wood needed for the first chair so it didn't cost us anything to make.

The second chair we had to buy the wood. Total cost: $9.00.It took about 3.5 hours total sanding, painting, cutting and putting together. Totally worth it!

I am in LOVE with these! Now that they turned out so well, I'm wanting to make a bench to go on the other side of the pool! I will have to wait until my hubby's next break because he is too afraid of me using the skill saw by myself. {wimp}

Much thanks to my gorgeous husband for helping me and posing for pictures just so you guys could see every step along the way. *Muah*

-- If you are interested in making these chairs, let me know and I can send you the step-by-step directions and cut list.

No comments:

Post a Comment