Friday, March 18, 2011

Drab 2 Fab: Foot Stool

I found this DRABULOUS foot stool at goodwill a couple weeks ago. I really didn't NEED it, but I knew it would be perfect for my blog. {You guys have created a monster out of me!}


For this price, I KNEW I would find a place for it! $4.99!

Turns out, this foot stool has been recovered THREE times. Here's a silly pic Jd caught of me as I ripped into the second layer.


A lot of times, I like to clean the top layer fabric and just cover right over it because it is SO much easier. This was not even an option for this project. ALL three layers were in absolute horrid condition. The fabric was LITERALLY turning to sand as I tried to rip it off. GROSSED me OUT! Whoever recovered it the second time (in like 1970) used REAL nails to tack it into the wood. The nails were SO old and rusted I thought I would NEVER get them all out. 


These are a few of the tools I used. Isn't that little hammer adorable? Jd bought me that a couple years ago for Christmas. I LOVE that hammer!


Two EXTREMELY sore and cut up arms and shoulders later, I thought I was making good progress, only to realize that bottom fabric had to come off also. I began to question at this point why I was even working on this stupid foot stool. 


It took me almost a full hour to get ONE side of this layer off. I tried about 15 different methods, but whoever originally covered it made SURE that the dang material was tight and would be there for the rest of it's life. 


I got one side off and quit for the day. My arms were SO sore that I was in tears when I went to bed!!! 


Day 3: I was DETERMINED to get this thing finished, plus I had finally decided where it's home was going to be, so I kicked into high gear.


I wanted to make a drastic change, so I decided to paint the legs high-gloss white (which I got from my own personal paint store out in my storage shed, Ha!)


I wanted to try something new and give the cushion a cute accessory. I picked up two packs of cover buttons for $1.39 each at Walmart. They are super easy to use. I figured it couldn't be THAT hard to sew onto the cushion.


I think I always learn the hard way. After doing three buttons (out of four), I learned that it is MUCH easier to use a needle and thread ONLY to get the button area tight and THEN apply the button. I could barely touch the tips of my pointer fingers for two days because they were so sore.


It was finally time for the fun part: The electric stapler!


I cut the fabric so that there was just enough to tack to the underside of the stool, positioned it in the middle and started stapling.


I stapled all along the sides of the cushions, and four staples (on the cushion) where the buttons were just to make it a little tighter.


For the stool to be so small, I was very surprised at hard of a project it turned out to be. It really would have been easier to BUILD the stool, but the legs would have been expensive to buy. In the end, I was very happy at how it turned out. This is the first project I took all the way down to the wood, now that I learned the hard way, the next time will be much easier. So, yes, I would do it again! :)


The fabric is from Polka Tot Designs and matches the bedding on her crib. I got one yard on sale for $4.00. Adorable, right!?

The foot stool's NEW home is under the window in Khloe's room. (I have an upcoming blog featuring everything in K's room, which is why I didn't picture it there).

My vision for this footstool:
A bright, sunny day, placed under the oak tree with Khloe sitting, all by her big-girl self on the stool while Mommy snaps 3,359 pictures of her! During the day, Khloe will quietly (HA!) sit reading books. At night, Khloe will tuck her teddy bears and baby dolls in as they lay on the stool and sleep the night away.

Totally worth those sore arms!!! ; ) 

Total Cost: Around $12.00

You know you love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment