Thursday, March 10, 2011

Happy 4 Years John David!

If you know me, you know that I adore my husband. You know, that I have been head-over-heels for that John David Tullos since the day we met. This is my mushy-gushy blog about my husband of four precious years, filled with tons of love, lots of laughter, and maybe a couple drops of tears. You have been warned.  

A stroll down memory lane: 
Picture from our first date. Something is obviously going on with the lighting in the pic because I don't think John David or myself have EVER been that pale. I mean, we look like Bella & Edward. {NOT that that's a bad thing by any means! lol}

Oh, sweet young love. I adore this pic.

I remember when we first started dating my Grandma asked me “Heather, why do you call him John AND David? Why John David? Why not just John?” “BECAUSE Grandma, that’s his name.” Since medical school, his friends now refer to him just as “John.” I am not transitioning to this new name very well. Plus, it’s hard for new people to understand what I am calling him since it comes out as “Jonavvid.” It’s just impossible for me to call him John now.

We met eight years ago. He was a freshman at Ole Miss and I was a senior in High School. Our first kiss was after a very exciting night of cow-tipping with a group obviously country, and a little bit redneck, friends. Romantic, right!? Three months later, he told me he loved me, in the sweetest way anyone ever told me, BUT if I revealed that story to all of blog world, he WOULD kill me. Just know it was super-sweet.

Fast-forward four years later, John David got down on one knee and FINALLY asked me to marry him. To say I was excited, is an understatement. I jumped up and down, did a little dance, jumped up and down again, hugged him and then danced again. I had NO idea that he was secretly recording this. I searched for the video on my computer but couldn't find it. I will have to go through his computer to find that video.

Finally engaged! 

After almost 8 months of engagement, we had a fairytale wedding in my small hometown church. Of course, it’s only fairytale if you don’t know about how my two BEST friends dropped the top of my wedding cake. Or, how I nearly killed the three of us the day before the wedding while driving. You also may find it completely weird that my wedding coordinator was John David’s previous girlfriend for like 3 years and is also one of my best friends. But, HELLO, you know it wouldn’t be “Heather’s World” without a little bit of craziness. And I laughed at all the above the day of the wedding! It wouldn't have mattered if the whole cake was smashed on that day. All that mattered was that we were getting married. And nothing could have taken my smile away on that day!

He even dipped me. {love}

So, after living in the same place for twenty years, I packed everything I owned and moved to Jackson where John David was in med school. I am not even gonna lie. Most of the time it SUCKED. He was rarely home, and on the occasion he was, he was super busy studying. We were broke. We lived in a crappy house.  I thought med school and living in that house would never end. We reminded each other that ONE day we would look back on the days of "finding a live possum IN OUR LIVING ROOM" and "having no heat for an entire winter" or "screwing a 2x4 to the back door to keep it shut" would make us laugh hysterically, but at the time, it wasn't funny. At all.


Then came Khloe Brooke. From the day I found out I was pregnant, I never one time worried about what kind of father John David would be. There is not one thing that John David wouldn’t do for me if he was able to. He has ALWAYS treated me like I was his prize. I knew that from the moment our first baby was born, he would be there. For me, for her, for us.


Proud Daddy

To understand just how deep my affection goes, you have to know a few things about my husband.
  • John David is the guy that has told me EVERY single night for almost eight years now to "have sweet dreams." It started one night after I had a bad dream and since then he has not missed one night!
  • John David is the guy that wears a pink shirt only because I want us to match.
  • He is the kind of guy that will stop and pick me up breakfast after working a 36 hour shift.
  • John David is the guy that tells me how beautiful I look when I have my hair in a pony tail and wearing an old tshirt that I found in the bottom of my dresser.
  • He is the guy that will break into a random dance and then tell me what the name of it is (that he randomly made up) JUST to make me laugh.
  • He is the guy that takes me so see Twilight even though he knows I am going to tell his friends and they are going to forever tease him about it.
I adore John David and I adore his family. Something I value so highly is having amazing in-laws. Without a shadow of a doubt he WE would not be where we are today without his parents. Johnny & Teresa have been, and continue to be, incredible role models to both John David and myself. I adore the relationship they have with their son, and the respect and adoration John David has for his parents. I only hope that together we can raise Khloe half as well. I consider my self to be the luckiest daughter-in-law to such wonderful parents.

Johnny, Teresa, Me, Jd, Susan, Becca at The Long Coat Ceremony

A very special friend of mine once told me that John David and I were the only married friends she had that she thought “actually loved each other.” She said that she hoped to have a marriage like ours. I think this is the best compliment we could ever receive. Like any other relationship, we have our ups and downs, but at the end of the day, all we have is each other and the world we create together. I hope we never stop creating something worth living for!

We were both really sick in this picture, but I love it because sometimes you just need your hunny to hold ya! : )

Today we are celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary. For the first time, we are celebrating this anniversary as THREE. John David, Heather AND Khloe. Even though it's a crazy and challenging life being's this doctor's wife, I love being MY husband’s wife and I LOVE being his baby momma.

Happy Anniversary to the only man I know that could put up with such a dramatic girl! I love you always!

This is Love.


As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me."
-- Jon BonJovi

3 comments:

  1. Loooove this post! Yall are just the sweetest couple I know! Happy 4 (technically 8 years) Yall give me hope :D
    Love you!
    -Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post, Heather. I'm glad you're part of our family. Love y'all. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the relationship that you guys have! You both seem so happy. You make a beautiful couple and a beautiful baby! ;)

    Can't WAIT to read/see more of your life/blog!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete